Setting out is sensibly carried out by an expert contractor and is supervised by an
architect, head project consultant engineer, and other qualified members of the team.
The tools used in Setting out a Building include:
1. Theodolites- A precision instrument, which is used to measure and mark out the angles both
horizontally & vertically.
2. Measuring tape- Used for demarcating the external building wall extents and partitioning the
3. Spirit Level- To determine the horizontal and vertical levels and to ensure they are accurate.
4. Nylon String-Used for demarcating the building extent and wall thickness.
5. Lime Powder- The powder is used for making the foundation walling and positioning column
footing for further digging.